Avery County was founded in 1911 as a county and is located in the Alleghany Mountains of North Carolina. The county seat was first established in Elk Park but was later moved to Newland upon the completion of the court house in 1912. The county was formed from parts of Caldwell, Mitchell and Watauga Counties and was named after Waightstill Avery, a Colonel in the American Revolutionary War and the first Attorney General of North Carolina from 1777 to 1779. The county seat is located in Elk Park.
Genealogy Records available to Members
- A List of Wills 1911 to 1968
See how easy it is to view Wills, Estates, Inventories, Returns, Sales online