Stokes County was formed in 1789 from Surry County and was named for Capain John Stokes, who was wounded during the American Revolutionary War when the cavalry of British Colonel Banastre Tarleton almost destroyed the Virginia Regiment led by Colonel Abraham Buford in the Waxhaws region in 1780. After the war, Captain Stokes was appointed a judge of the United States district court for North Carolina. In 1849 the southern half of Stokes County became Forsyth County. The county seat is Danbury.
Stokes County Probate Records available to members of North Carolina Pioneers
Images of Wills, Inventories, Estates 1792 to 1800, Vol. 1
- Adaman, Thomas | Armstrong, John | Armstrong, Martin | Atwood, William | Aust, Mary
- Bagge, Frangat | Bagge, Traugett | Banner, Henry | Billing, Joseph | Binkley, Christian | Binkley, Joseph | Binkley, Peter | Blackburn, John | Bowman, Edmond | Boyer, Aaron | Boyer, Henry | Briggs, Thomas | Bright, John | Brown, John
- Cannon, Benjamin | Cannon, Hinningham | Carrell, Thomas M. | Carson, Michael | Carson, William | Chandler, William | Christmon, Balthasa | Clayton, Britain | Colon, Johanna Elizabeth | Crook, Isam | Crook, James
- Davis, Mary | Davis, William | Deange, Michael | Deatherage, George | Doles, Henry | Ebert, Eva Barbara | Ebert, Martin Jr. | Elmore, Abijah | Esterline, Ann Maria | Esterline, Matthew | Evans, Edward | Evans, Thomas
- Farmer, John | Farr, John |Fogler, Michael | Folk, Andrew | Fry, Valentine | Gammell, John | Gammett, James | Geoffert, George | Glen, James | Glenn, John | Griner, Robert | Guinn, Almand
- Ham, Joseph | Ham, Joseph (2) | Hamm, Daniel | Hampton, Henry | Hauser, George | Hepler or Hessler, Abraham | Hill, Isaac | Hilsabeck, Frederick | Hine, John Jacob | Hinshaw, George | Hinshaw, John | Hoy, John Van | Hudspeth, Giles | Hummel, Christian | Hurst, James
- Jackson, James Sr. | James, David | Johnson, David | Jones, William | Joyner, William | Kimbrough, Thomas | Kirby, Henry
- Ladd, William | Lawton, Joseph | Lewis, William | Lindsey, John | Linebach, Abraham | Linebach, Lewis | Love, James, Sr. | Love, James Sr. (estate) | Lytz, Phillip
- Markhorns, John | Markland, Matthew | Martin, Moses | Martin, Robert | Mayer, Jacob | McAnnally, Jesse | McMurry, Robert | Melton, John | Miller, Jacob | Millwood, James | Mosby, Samuel | Nash, John | Neely, John
- Padgel, Benjamin | Parker, Jeptha | Pattison, Andrew | Peddycourt, Sarah | Pennegar, Peter | Petree, John | Petree, Sarah | Pitts, William | Reddick, Hardy | Rigg, Thomas
- Sale, Rachel | Sanders, Nahum | Sides, Michael | Simpson, Abraham | Smith, Christian | Smith, Robert | Southern, William | Spragen or Sprague, Joseph | Sprague, Joseph (estate) | Stewart, Alexander | Swann, Benjamin
Images of Stokes County Will Bk 2, 1801 to 1816
- Tate, Rachel | Thomason, John Sr. | Todd, Joseph | Transon, Philip | Vest, William Sr. | Warnock, Samuel | Weaver, Christian | Webb, William | Wilson, John | Woods, John | Wright, Elizabeth | Yarrell, Peter
- Alford, William | Angel, Jobe | Aust, George
- Ballard, Thomas | Banks, John | Banner, Benjamin | Barnard, Tristram | Beasly, Richard | Beasley, William | Beazley, Robert | Benzein, Christian Lewis | Bettiter, Zebada | Binnegar, William | Blume, Jacob | Bohannon, James | Bolecheek, Joseph | Bolling, Anthony | Bond, Samuel | Bostick, Absalom | Brooks, David | Brown, Elizabeth | Burchin, Henry | Burge, Alexander | Butner, Christopher | Bynam, Gray | Clayton, John | Cofer, James | Conrad, John | Cook, John | Cox, Richard | Cressman, George | Curry, Malcom
- Dalton, Samuel | Davis, Henry | Davis, John | Davis, Sarah | Davis, William | Dawson, John | Deathorage, George | Dodson, Reuben | Doll, Nicholas | Dollar, John
- East, Thomas Sr. | Ebert, Martin | Ernst, Anna Catharine | Fedler, Godfrey | Ferguson, Jack | Flynt, Haslin | Fole, Peter | Foster, Andrew | Fountain, Stephen | Frazer, Stephen | French, William | Fry, Michael Sr. | Fry, Valentine | Fuller, Godfrey
- Gaines, Thomas | Gideon, Margaret | Goslin, Elizabeth | Gruggs, Thomas
- Haisley, John | Hamilton, Robert Sharp | Hampton, James | Hampton, Samuel | Hanns, Jacob | Hauns, Martin | Hauser, Frederick | Heath, Thomas | Hauser, George Peter | Haynes, Robert | Hawkins, William | Hazlet, Robert | Heal, John | Hester, John | Hester, Mary | Hill, Matthew Sr. | Hine, John | Hine, Philip | Hoffman, George | Holland, John | Howell, William | Hunter, John Sr. | Hunter, Thomas
- Jean, William Sr. | Johnson, Robert | Jones, Gabriel | Kainzel, Frederick | Kellum, John | Kapp, Jacob | Kerr, John | Kinsel, Salome | Kraup, Gottleb | Ladd, Constantine | Lagename, Phillip | Lawson, John | Lawson, Jonas | Linville, David | Lowray, Isabel | Ludwick, Peter
- Majors, John Sr. | Marshall, Frederick William | Martin, Abraham Sr. | Martin, William | Martin, William (1812) | Matthews, James | McAnnally, Charles | McKillip, Andrew | McKillip, Hugh | Meaum, Nancy | Mickey, John | Miller, Jacob | Miller, Joseph | Moore, Alexander | Moore, Matthew | Morris, Hammond | Morris, Pressley
- Neal, Thomas | Nelson, Joseph | Niding, Mathew | Null, Jacob | Nunn, John | Oliver, Peter | Paterson, John | Patterson, Joseph | Peddycourt, William Barton | Penyear, John | Perry, Jonathan | Phillips, Richard | Pitts, Samuel | Plaff, Joseph | Petree, Henry | Petree, Jacob
- Rank, Michael | Raper, Thomas | Rights, John | Rights, John Sr. | Roark, Elijah | Roberts, James Dudley | Robertson, William H. | Rothrock, Jacob | Russell, Mary | Rutledge, William
- Schawils, Andrew | Seiler, John | Shamel, John | Shelton, William Jr. | Shreyer, John Peter | Shouse, Henry | Smith, Henry | Smith, Robert | Smith, William | Sprinch, George | Stewart, David | Stocker, Henry | Stockton, Daniel | Swain, William
- Tagus, Michael | Tatum, John | Taylor, William | Thanchour, Jacob | Thomas, Phillip | Thomason, George | Vernon, Jonathan | Vest, William Sr.
Images of Stokes County Will Bk 3, 1817 to 1837
- Waggoner, Samuel | Waggoner, William Sr. | Walker, William | Weaver, Michael | Whitlock, Charles | Willets, Henry | Williams, Owen | Winston, Joseph Sr. | Wohlfart, Jacob | Woolfolk, Richard | Woodson, Tucker | Zimmerman, John
Barnes, Martha | Barr, Isaac | Bartly, Sarah | Beason, William | Beazley, Charles | Beazley, Jeremiah | Beck, John Sr. | Belling or Bitting, Maria | Benzuin, William Lewis | Bibighan, Christine | Billettes, Alexander | Bitting, Elizabeth | Blake, John | Blackburn, Young | Blum, Henry | Boehls, John Frederick | Boles, Alexander Sr. | Boles, Janus | Bostick, Frederick | Boswell, Verlinda | Boyles, William | Brandon, Thomas | Branson, Zachariah | Brown, Rice | Butner, Thomas
Camplin, Jacob | Carver, George | Childress, William | Chitty, Charles Sr. | Christ, Rudolph | Christman, Daniel | Christman, John Daniel | Clampitt, Richard | Clements, Benjamin | Clove, John | Coller, Joseph | Connell, John | Cook, John William Jacob | Cook, William | Cosan, Anthony | Cox, Joshua Jr. | Cox, Mary | Cox, Mildred | Cox, Mildred (1825) | Craig, William | Crews, David | Crews, James | Crimm, Jacob | Critendon, Chrisanna | Croom, Limon | Crun, Conrad |
Dalton, David | Dalton, Isaac | Dawson, Elizabeth | Dawson, Naomy | Dobson, William | Douk, Mary Eve | Douthit, Isaac | Duggins, John | Duncan, Thomas | Eads, Isaac | Early, Asa | Elrod, Maria | Endsley, Andrew | Estes, Robert | Fair, Michael Sr. | Fars or Farr, Mary Ann | Fedral, Samuel | Fidler, Peter | Fishel, Jacob | Fisher, George | Flynt, Thomas | Fochel, Maria Rosina | Fountain, Jane | Forst, James B. | Francis, Micajah | Freeman, John | Fry, John
Gambold, John | Gatewood, Dudley | Geiger, Adam | Gentry, Richard | Goode, Thomas | Graff, Joshua | Green, Philip | Green, Susannah | Grobs, William |Guinn, Thornton P. Sr. | Hairston, Peter | Hanes, George | Hardman, John | Harper, Zephaniah | Harper, Jane | Hart, Anny | Hartt, Henry | Hauser, Abraham | Hauser, Catharine | Hauser, Heinrich | Hauser, John L. | Heath, John | Hedgecock, William | Hein, Juliana Catharine | Heinz, Christian | Hendrick, Nathaniel | Henley, John | Henning, John Adam | Hess, George Jr. | Hessler, Maria Salome | Hester, John | Hicker, James W. | Hill, Richard | Hill, Robert | Hine, Johanna | Hine, Peter | Hitchcock, Nancy | Holder, Johanna | Holston, Adam | Hoofman, Lewis | House, Jonathan | Huffman, Henry | Hutcherson, Joseph | Hutchins, Frederick
James, John | Jessup, Joseph | Johnson, Ashley | Jones, Cadwaller | Jones, Sarrah | Jones, Thomas | Joyce, Alexander | Joyce, William B. | Kasky, Frederick | Kellum, Ann | Kelly, Benjamin | Kerner, Joseph | Kilner, Francis Sr. | King, John | Kiser, Barbara | Kook, Thomas | Kinnaman, John | Kracken, Elizabeth Green | Krameck, Samuel | Kreeger, Frederick | Kreeger, Henry | Kreegan, John | Krouse, John | Krouse, Samuel | Kruger, Jacob | Kushke, John Fred
Last, Nathaniel | Lawson, Elisha | Ledford, John | Lewis, Jacob | Lide, Elizabeth | Lindman, Henry | Loflin, Martha | Logenauer, George | Long, Frederick
Mans, Henry Sr. | Mansell, Robert | Marshall, Martin | Martin, John | Martin, John Sr. | McCarter, Aaron | Mendenhall, Joseph | Miller, Frederick | Miller, Harman | Miller, John | Moody, Alexander | Moore, Reubin | More, W. | Moses, Peter | Neal, Thomas | Nelson, Isaac | Newman, Charles | Nunns, Elizabeth | Nuns, Willia
Panther, William | Pearce, Jacob | Peter, Simon | Pfaff, Isaac | Phillips, Colly | Philips, John | Pitts, John | Preston, Weatherington | Priddy, George
Ransom, Joseph | Rank, Elizabeth | Rank, Gottleb | Ray, George | Reaves, Charles | Redenon, Caty | Reich, Catherina | Reich, Christopher | Reich, Elizabeth | Reich, Matthew Reid, Jacob | Reynolds, Archibald | Rich, Samuel | Ridings, John | Rights, Maria Magdalene | Rights, Matthew | Rippel, Henry | Robinson, Israel | Robinson, Jacob | Rominger, Michael | Rominger, Michael (1824) | Rothrock, Philip | Ruchel, Benjamin
Samuel, Henry | Samuel, Ruben | Scales, Joseph | Schrisler, Gottleb | Schultz, Dorothea | Schaub, Hanah | Schaub, John Jacob | Sell, John | Shamel, John | Shields, Abel | Shober, Nathaniel | Shore, Henry | Shore, Peter | Shultz, Thomas | Sikes, Lorenzo | Sisk, Salley | Smith, Thompson | Snider, Philip | Spainhauer, Henry | Spainhauer, John Jacob | Spainhauer, Michael | Sprinkle, Betsy | Sprinkle, George | Sprinkle or Stikle, Gottlieb | Starbuck, Paul | Steiner, Abraham | Stotts, Samuel | Stutly, Henry | Stutts, John | Sutton, Joseph
Taylor, George | Teague, John | Thomason, John | Thomason, Sarah | Tilly, Edmund | Transon, Abraham |Transon, Maria Catharine | Vaughn, Zebulon | Vest, John |Vogler, Christpher | Von Schweinitz, Lewis David | Waggoner, Adam | Waggoner, Gabriel | Wickes, Elijah | Wilkerson, Mercy | Willard, George | Wolff, Ann Penes | Wolff, Isaac | Wolff, Lorentz | Wray, William | Wright, John | Young, James | Young, Sarah
Images of Stokes County Will Bk 4, 1837 to 1864
Alspough, Henry | Angell, Silas | Arnold, Hezekiah | Ashby, John W. | Bagge, Charles Frederick (1837) | Bagge, Charles Frederick | Banner, Benjamin Sr. | Banner, Joseph Sr. | Banner, Sally W. | Barber, Travis | Barrow, Moses Sr. | Bitting, John | Bitting, John L. | Blackburn, Bryser | Blackburn, Gabriel M. | Blackburn, John T. | Blackburn, Winifred | Blum, Catharine | Bohanon, John | Bolrd, Benjamin | Boljack, Joseph | Bouldin, Ephraim | Bowman, Andrew | Boyer, Anna | Boyer, William | Brinkley, Crosley | Bristz, Christian | Brown, John | Brown, Nathan | Brown, Thomas | Brown, William M. | Burkhard, John | Butler, Harmon | Butler, Thomas | Bynum, Hampton
Carr, Jane | Carter, Anderson | Carter, Elizabeth | Carter, Henry | Cash, Christian | Chambers, John W. | Chowder, Charles Gottleb | Chrissman, Elizabeth | Clampett, William | Clark, Jacob | Cole, William C. | Conner, John | Conrad, Jacob | Conrad, Solomon | Cretz, William | Crews, Augustain | Crews, Edward | Crews, Frederick | Crews, Thomas | Croom, Elizabeth | Cunningham, James
Dalton, Christina | Dalton, Jubles | Daub, Jacob | Davis, James | Denke, Christian Frederick | Dun, Solomon | Eason, Bethenia | Eason, Susanna Edwards, Edward| Edwards, Edward H. | Elrige, Elizabeth | Farmer, Barnard | Faw, Daniel | Faw, William | Fiskel, John Adam | Flippin, Samuel | Flynt, Elisabeth | Flynt, Richard Fotts, Barbara | Fotts, Jacob | Francis, John | Frances, Sarah | Frost, Elizabeth | Fry, Jesse | Fry, Massy | Fulton, Francis
Gardner, William | Garth, Thomas | Gibson, Jeremiah | Gibson, Sarah | Glidewell, John L. | Gordon, Francis | Griffith, William | Guinn, Davis B. | Hagen, John | Hall, Wilchin | Hamilton, Horatio | Hartman, Rebecca | Hauser, Solomon | Hege, Eve | Hester, Robert T. | Hill, Joel | Hill, John | Holder, Mary K. | Hottern, Magnus | Huff, John | Hutchins, Robert | Hutchins, Tandy J.
Jackson, Hannah | Johannah, Anna | Joyce, John | Joyce, Robert | Joyce, Thomas | Joyce, William T. | Keiger, George | Ketner, Frederick | King, N. S. | King, Thomas | Kiser, Michael | Kiser, Michael Jr. | Kitner, Matthew | Knott, William | Kreuser, Conrad | Kruger, Anna Margaret H.
Lanier, Jacob | Larimore, James | Lasley, Joseph | Linbeck, Barbara | Lindsey, Joseph P. | Linville, David Sr. | Lyon, James | Mabe, Reuben | Marshall, Amos | Martin, Edmond T. | Martin, Martha | Martin, Mary | Mathews, Mary S. | McAnally, Elizabeth | McKnight, George | Meredith, Elisha | Miller, Morgan | Mitchell, Adam | Moody, Nathaniel | Moore, Susannah C. | Moore, William C. | Neal, Conrad | Null, John Sr.
Owen, Isham | Owen, Jesse | Pell, Nancy | Pfohl, Christian Thomas | Pfohl, Dorothea Elizabeth | Plummer, Thomas | Poindexter, Gabriel | Porr, Hannah | Preston, Nathaniel | Ray, Mary | Redman, Harmon | Reed, Prudence M. | Richardson, Green L. | Rippel, Martin | Roark, Timothy | Rouse, John Edwin | Rush, Lewis | Rush, Verona | Rutledge, Isabella
Salmon, Lucinda | Sams, Elijah | Schaap, Christian Frederick | Schaub, Maria | Seals, Absalom | Scott, Leonard | Shepperd, Giles L. | Shields, Reuben | Shipp, Thomas | Shober, Emanuel | Shober, Gottlieb | Shore, Henry | Shore, Jacob Shore, John, Sr. (1844) | Shore, John, Sr. | Shott, Eva Barbara | Shouse, Anna | Shutt, Charles | Sides, Philip | Simmons, Matthew | Smith, John Sr. | Smith, Mary | Spainhauer, David | Spainhauer, John | Spanch, Frederick | Spence, John | Spurgin, William | Stanley, Christopher | Stanley, Samuel | Stockburger, Sarah | Stotts, Casper | Stotts, John | Strup, Ephraim | Stutts, Simon | Stutz, Henry | Swain, Jonathan | Swain, Mary Magdalene
Telley, Edmund | Taylor, Josiah | Teague, William | Teague, William Sr. | Tilly, David | Tilly, Joel | Tucker, Joel | Tuggle, John | Tuttle, Thomas | Van Beck, Charles A. | Vance, John | Vaughn, Ann | Vawter, Bradford | Vawter, John | Virling, Martha Liz
Waggoner, Lewis | Walker, Robert | Waller, Henry | Ward, John | Ward, William I. | Washby, John | Webb, Elijah | Welch, Thomas | Welfare, Daniel | White, Thomas | Wilkins, John Sr. | Williams, James | Wilson, Milley | Winkler, Christian | Wolff, Lewis | Wood, John | Young, Robert | Young, William Sr. | Ziglar, Benjamin | Ziglar, L. | Ziglar, Leonard | Zimmerman, James | Zimmerman, Reuben | Zimmerman, Reuben (1838)
Lutherans in Stokes County
By Jeannette Holland Austin
In the year of 1786 Rev. Christian Eberhardt Bernhardt, a native of Stuttgard, in the kingdom of Würtemberg was sent on his mission to America. Bernhart was ordained in his native country, and landed at Savannah, and then proceeded to Ebenezer, Georgia, where he remained for twelve months. In 1787 he went to Rowan County, North Carolina and labored among the churches to the East of the Yadkin River (Davidson County). In 1788 he took charge of the congregations in Stokes and Forsyth Counties, which had been organized and frequently visited by Rev. Nussmann. It was in Stokes County that Rev. Bernhardt was married, but the records do not mention the name of his wife. One year later he removed to Guilford County, where he remained to the close of the year 1800, when he accepted the call to become the pastor of Zion's and several other Lutheran Churches in Lexington District, South Carolina.
Source: Account furnished by his daughter-in-law, the widow of the late Rev. David Bernhardt; History of the Lutheran Church in North Carolina Bernheim, G. D., 1872, Volume 08, Pages 758-796
JOIN BLOG and stay updated. Add your email address below and confirm your subscription in the email notice.
See how easy it is to view Wills, Estates, Inventories, Returns, Sales online