Bethabara was established in 1753. It had a stockade and combiined with another Moravian village of Bethania was a center of refuge from Indian attacks. Nevertheless, it was frequently under attack. Indians were often frequented away by the ringing of a bell for religious services. A large camp of the Indians was only about six miles way. Drawing republished with permission of the Archives of the Moravian Church, Bethlehem, Pennsylvania.