During the early part of the 18th century, the original Currituck County court house was built. That building was not replaced until 1842, then remodeled in 1898. In 1776, the Colonial Legislature granted permission to build a jail and today, the old Currituck Jail and the court house are two of the oldest county buildings in North Carolina.
During the 19th century, Currituck County became known for its fishing villages. During 1859 the Albemarle Chesapeake Waterway became a vital water passage from Maine to Florida. Today, it is known as the Intracoastal Waterway, which separates the southern mainland from the northern. By the time of the late 19th century, the county was a paradise to sportsmen and it attracted hunters from all over the country.