Tryon Palace was built between 1767 and 1770, but was ravaged by fire in 1798. The building was restored in 1952 to 1959 and is decorated with 18th century furniture and appointments. It was first built for the governor under the supervision of John Hawks whom Governor Tryon had brought from Lincolnshire, England. The plan included a brick two-story house, eighty-seven feet wide and fifty-nine feet deep, conneccted by curved colonnades with two outlying wiings. It also served as the capitol and North Carolina's First Provincial Congress met in that apalace in 1774 and the General Assembly met there in 1777. Anyone who has visited this palace is wowed by its fabulous gardens and stone walkways.